Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today's not quite so gloomy.


Dear Fellow Louisianan:

As you know, I have grave concerns about the direction some in Washington have taken the immigration debate. Our current immigration debate should really be about securing our border and enforcing current law. Illegal immigrants have compromised the security of our nation and Congress should deal with stopping the flow of these criminals before doing anything else.

Second, I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to any form of amnesty for illegal immigrants. Congress must respect the rule of law when we consider a solution to the problem of illegal immigration. Therefore, border security and enforcement must come first in order to protect the citizens of Louisiana, and to preserve our nation's sovereignty.

I will continue to fight for an immigration policy that has no provisions for amnesty of any kind. The Kennedy Amnesty bill if it passes would allow illegal aliens to get a free pass and get amnesty. This is outrageous!

As you may recall, during debate on the Senate Immigration bill, I authored an amendment to strip the amnesty provision out of the bill. Unfortunately, my amendment failed 29-66. Although I thought amnesty for 12 million illegal immigrants – including more than 635,000 gang members, terrorists, and felons was a wrongheaded policy, I was not able to gain enough of my colleagues' votes to vote with me to say NO AMNESTY PERIOD.

However, I want you to know that I am continuing to fight the battle against Amnesty. I am working around the clock trying to convince other Senators that this bill is Amnesty "pure and simple". I urge you to join me in the fight against amnesty and assist me in the battle against the Kennedy Amnesty immigration bill.

Sincerely,

David Vitter, U.S Senator








No comments: